Wednesday, June 30, 2010

"Tithe" by Holly Black [3 1/2]


Sixteen year old Kaye is a modern nomad. Fierce and independent, she travels from city to city with her mother's rock band until an ominous attack forces Kaye back to her childhood home. There, amid the industrial, blue-collar New Jersey backdrop, Kaye soon finds herself an unwilling pawn in an ancient power struggle between two rival faerie kingdoms - a struggle that could very well mean her death.
I've had this series sitting in my book self for about one year now, and kept saying I'll get around to reading it. Well with the four month challenge I thought I'd start and use the last novel in the series as part of that challenge.
I came into reading 'Tithe' with an open mind as I thought I won't compare it too the 'Wicked Lovely' series which I think is fantastic ... but I have been a little disappointed and I cannot help comparing to the other series. First of all it has quite a bit of bad language in it and it definitely is only suitable for young adults. The basic story is interesting, but again I like the 'Wicked Lovely' series better. I couldn't really gel to any of the main characters and I guess the constant swearing put me off.
The story reads well, it flows and you read it quiet quickly, it's dark and edgy and if you don't mind bad language you'll probably quite enjoy it. Wouldn't recommend to those under 16 at least. Next in the series is 'Valiant'.
I rate this book 3 1/2 stars.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails