Monday, January 24, 2011

"Bleeding Violet" by Dia Reeves [4]


Love ...
can be a dangerous thing.
Hanna simply wants to be loved. With a head plagued by hallucinations, a medicine cabinet full of pills, and a closet stuffed with frilly violet dresses, Hanna's tired of being the outcast, the weird girl, the freak. So she runs away to Portero, Texas, in search of a new home.
But Portero is a stranger town than Hanna expects. As she tries to make a place for herself, she discovers dark secrets that would terrify any normal soul. Good thing for Hanna, she's far from normal. As this crazy girl meets an even crazier town, only two things are certain: Anything can happen and no one is safe.
This is one strange book and I'm still not sure if I like it or not?
A word of warning first: and I've taken these words from another blogger because she has put it better than I can....
"Beware that this is not a wholesome story! It is dark, gory, sensual and violent. Not for the squeamish; it deals with mental illness, teenage sex, violence and even a suicide attempt." This is definitely a young adult read.
This was a debut novel for this author and she did really well, the story is very odd and unique and it has substance that keeps you very intrigued even if your not sure that you like it or not. I did find it a little confusing at the start but it seems to even it self out and make sense as you go along. The characters are a very interesting bunch and they all hold their own as part of the story but for me I just couldn't relate to any of them, but that didn't detract anything from the novel. The author writes with amazing detail and has a fantastic imagination to be able to see all the weird things that make up this unique novel.
" How do you know I'm a transient?"
I asked the oldest girl, who didn't know me from Eve.
She took me in at a glance and went back to pouring cups of juice.
"Bright, stupid clothes. No visible scars.
But especially your eyes. You can always tell by the eyes. Yours ain't
never seen anything real."
This is one novel that all you lovers of Fantasy will just eat up with relish... monsters, mayhem, violence, romance, and all the other stuff that makes up a good fantasy novel. While I'm still undecided as to whether I enjoyed the novel i will rate it as 4 stars because it is well written, just not quite my cup of tea. Gorgeous cover and that's why I picked it up in the first place.
I rate this book 4 stars.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Not something I would normally read...But, I do have to admit, I am intrigued.

Related Posts with Thumbnails