Thursday, May 21, 2009

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte (5)

As an orphan, Jane's childhood is not an easy one but her independence and strength of character keep her going through the miseries inflicted by cruel relatives and a brutal school. However, her biggest challenge is yet to come. Taking a job as a governess in a house full of secrets, for a passionate man she grows more and more attracted to, ultimately forces Jane to call on all her resources in order to hold on to her beliefs.

Move over Mr Darcy here comes Mr Rochester ......

This is one of my favourite books and movies of all time .... I don't know how many times I watched Jane Eyre when I was growing up and Mr Rochester was always Timothy Dalton until the new version came out in 2006 ....

This novel is truly a classic ... And a novel which you can read with great ease and amusement ... Jane is such a wonderful character .... Even as a young child she knew her own mind even under such awful surroundings .....

I would truly call this novel a love story .... It is full of passion .... And it amazes me that it was written so long ago but yet is still so fresh .... I couldn't help but continually turn the pages to see what happens next ....

I feel this book has everything that you would require in a story ... Romance ( which sometimes you can feel the attraction between Jane and Edward was electric ) .... There was suspense and mystery ( What exactly was in attic? ) ... There was Ghosts and stately Mansions ( With beautiful gardens and women dressed in wonderful apparel ) ... There where the characters you loved to hate ( The wicked Aunt and Mr Brocklehurst ) .... The character who is the heroine ( Jane .... Plain she was not ) and no story would be complete without a brooding, Ruggedly Handsome Landing Man in Mr Rochester ....

I have so many favourite parts in this novel but here is but a few ....

"He rose and came towards me, and I saw his face all kindled, and his full falcon-eye flashing, and tenderness and passion in every lineament. I quailed momentarily - then I rallied." pg 329
(Swoon .... Swoon ... Swoon )

"My little friend!" said he, "I wish I were in a quiet island with only you; and trouble, and danger, and hideous recollections removed from me" ...... Can I help you, sir? - I'd give my life to serve you." .... "Jane, if aid is wanted, I'd seek it at your hands; I promise you that." Pg 244

"If one shook hands, for instance; but no - that would not content me either. So you'll do no more than to say Farewell, Jane?" ...... pg 271

"God pardon me!" he subjoined ere long, "and man meddle not with me: I have her, and will hold her" Pg 308

I cannot tell you how much I really love this book ... If you have not read it yet please do yourself a favour and go and get a copy !!! ..... You will not be disappointed ... You can really see how it is a Classic and remain one for many years to come ...

I rate this book 5*****

Ok we are doing this book as a book club and are going to settle down to watch the series .... So here is a wee teaser .... If you haven't seen this series it is well worth the watch :)

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails