Thursday, December 30, 2010

The Forbidden Sea by Sheila A Nielson (41/2)


When Adrianne comes face-to-face with the mermaid of Windwaithe Island, she is convinced that the mermaid means her harm. After all, the island is steeped in stories of mermaids' curses and the ill-luck that they bring. But Adrianne is fierce-willed and courageous and is determined to protect her family and the islanders from danger. Yet when the islanders find out about Adrianne's encounters with the mermaid, her family is scorned. They believe that once active, the mermaid cannot be quieted until an islander sacrifices herself to the sea. But is the legend true? And will their fear make them force Adrienne to test it? This is a haunting story of love, surrender and strength

I purchased this book because: Alot of hype around the book and wanted to see if it lived up to the reputation ...


Opening Lines: Pelting rain battered against me, stinging my skin and eyes, almost driving me backwards, Forcing myself to continue, I felt my way down the slick rock face one foot at a time. I clung to the cliff face a moment, crying into the dark squall raging around me.

Well I have been reading lately about fairies, vampires, werewolves and shapeshifters so why not try Mermaids ....... This is a really nice book and actually deals with alot of grown up issues ... Bullying and feeling alone is a major one ...... I read this book in nearly one sitting .. I just gobbled it up ... My only complaint with the book was that it ended .......

I don't want to go into details because it would totally spoil the book but there are sooooo many different avenues and characters in the book that I would love the storyline to continue ....

I love the main character of Adrianne she is feisty, firely and vulnerable all rolled into one .... And it seems that no matter what she does it is never enough to satisfy those around her .... So when the legend of the Mermaid suddenly threatens the Island everyone turns to Adrianne ...

I loved the storyline of Lady Lauretta Durran and how it inter weaved throughout the whole novel ... There is nothing like a good mystery ......

Some of my favourite quotes are:

Don't let the few harsh things of life blot out your happiness in everything else, Adrianne. pg 40

If you let fear control what you do, you'll never get anything done. Pg 42

I thoroughly enjoyed this book and would definitely read more from the author ...

I rate this book 4 1/2 ****

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails