Saturday, December 11, 2010

I am not a Serial Killer by Dan Wells (5)


John Wayne Cleaver is dangerous, and he knows it.

He’s spent his life doing his best not to live up to his potential.

He’s obsessed with serial killers, but really doesn’t want to become one. So for his own sake, and the safety of those around him, he lives by rigid rules he’s written for himself, practicing normal life as if it were a private religion that could save him from damnation.

Dead bodies are normal to John. He likes them, actually. They don’t demand or expect the empathy he’s unable to offer. Perhaps that’s what gives him the objectivity to recognize that there’s something different about the body the police have just found behind the Wash-n-Dry Laundromat---and to appreciate what that difference means.

Now, for the first time, John has to confront a danger outside himself, a threat he can’t control, a menace to everything and everyone he would love, if only he could.

Dan Wells’s debut novel is the first volume of a trilogy that will keep you awake and then haunt your dreams.

I purchased this book because: Saw it on a book blog site and just had to get it

Opening lines: Mrs Anderson was dead.

I could not put this book down ........ It was brilliant in a really weird and sick pageturning way ... Reading it ..... Did make me think of the Character of "Dexter" expect that it is a younger version when he is just finding out what he is .....

The Character of John is brilliant ... And very detailed ...... He has a very unique way that he looks at the world and sometimes you cannot help but laugh out loud with what he thinks ... I cannot tell you how much I really liked this book ..... Obviously it is about the character of John who thinks he is destined to be a serial Killer because he displays the 3 charactrists of a serial killer plus a number of other clues along the way .... When a series of murders happens in his small town how will he be able to keep himself away .... And will his curiousity get the better of him .........

I have so many favourite quotes in this book that it is hard to choose which ones I like ... But here are a few ...

"The project I did last year was on Jeffrey Dahmer," I said. " He was a cannibal who kept severed heads in his freezer." "I remember now," said Max, his eyes darkening. " Your posters gave me nightmares." "Nightmares are nothing." I said. "Those posters gave me a therapist." Pg 27

There was a new monster in town, it seemed - would its presence awaken the one I kept hidden? Pg 30


"I'm a good person." I said, "because I know what good people are supposed to act like, and I copy them." Pg 37

Sure, we have dead bodies in the basement, but we also have a chapel, so it all balances out. Right? pg 38

Could I stop myself? Once I tore that wall down, could I rebuilt it? Pg 133

This book is probably not for everyone ... But if you love thrillers and a book with a little bit of bite to it and do not mind some blood and guts along the way ......... Then you will love this book ......... The sense of humour in the book is brilliant .... The way it is written is very clever and I cannot wait to read the next book .... And you will fall in love with John Wayne Cleaver !!!


I rate this book 5 Stars .........


No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails