Thursday, December 30, 2010

The Education of Bet by Lauren Baratz-Logster (5)


When Will and Bet were four, tragic circumstances brought them to the same house, to be raised by a wealthy gentleman as brother and sister. Now sixteen, they’ve both enjoyed a privileged upbringing thus far. But not all is well in their household. Because she’s a girl, Bet’s world is contained within the walls of their grand home, her education limited to the rudiments of reading, writing, arithmetic, and sewing. Will’s world is much larger. He is allowed—forced, in his case—to go to school. Neither is happy.

So Bet comes up with a plan and persuades Will to give it a try: They’ll switch places. She’ll go to school as Will. Will can live as he chooses. But once Bet gets to school, she soon realizes living as a boy is going to be much more difficult than she imagined.

I purchased this book because: The cover is lovely ....... I am just a sucker for a pretty cover

Opening lines: Everything I needed to wear beneath my clothes was already in place. I selected a shirt the color of unspoiled snow, eased my arms into the sleeves, slowly did up the buttons from narrow waist to chest and finally to neck.


Pages in Novel: 186


Isn't the cover to his novel lovely ... And it is hardback as well ... This is a lovely wee book to read and you will finish this in one sitting if you are a quick reader ... I am a sucker for stories about girls dressing up like boys Yentel and Shakespeare in Love to name a couple ... So I just loved this novel ...


When Bet and Will hatch their plan to let Bet pretend to be Will at an all boys school it sounds so simple ... But it turns out to be anything but ... Bet has to quickly adept to the world of men in order to survive .... There are some really cute parts in this novel that will have you laughing out loud .... And you do tend to forget that we as male and female are really quite different ... From the way we walk, talk and think .... Can Bet really get away with being a man?


Favourite quotes I liked:


And why give up and declare a thing impossible before even trying? Pg 11


Paul Garderner liked to say that there were no accidents in life, that everything happened out of choice or through design, that everything for a reason. But from where I sat, so much of life did seem accidental, haphazard. How else to explain why one person lived while another died? Pg 17


All I see, Will, is a boy who is unwilling to do what it takes to get what he wants out of life. pg 26


We were all willing to do whatever we had to in order to keep him happy. Pg 116


My only complaint about this book is that nearing the end of the novel I felt it was wrapped up to fast .... But in saying that I am giving it 5 stars because I really did enjoy it ... It is light hearted, funny and whisked me away to another world for a few hours of enjoyment :)


I rate this book 5 *****

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails