Thursday, November 6, 2008

Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte (2)

Wuthering Heights is Emily Brontes only novel. It was first published in 1847 under the pseudonym Ellis Bell, and a posthumous second edition was edited by her sister Charlotte. The name of the novel comes from the Yorkshire manor on the moors on which the story centres (as an adjective, wuthering is a Yorkshire word referring to turbulent weather). The narrative tells the tale of the all-encompassing and passionate, yet thwarted, love between Heathcliff and Catherine Earnshaw, and how this unresolved passion eventually destroys them and many around them.
Now considered a classic of English literature


OK lovin the cover .... But not really lovin the book ...

This is the first of the classics that as a book club we are doing .... And I have to say I had to wade through this novel ...

I found the first few chapters boring but then once Ellen started to tell the story of Catherine and Heathcliff it got alot better ... Although I have to say I couldn't really make head nor tale of what Joseph was saying ... Even thought I have family in Yorkshire and have visited the moors and Lee's many times and was trying to image in my head the yorkshire ascent, I found I just I glossed over what he said ...

It is a very tragic tale ... And I found it really depressing ... There is no real joy in the book at all really ... People are either dying, depressed, angry or going to die ... A cheery read !!!

But to be honest I am glad that we have the opportunity to read it ... It does highlight social classes and how your ill treatment of others can rub off on them to ill treat others ...

At times I was so frustrated at Catherine she played a game with heathcliff's feelings and had no thought for anyone except herself ... And when she died she left a terrible mess of misery that would continue for many years to come ...

I do have a couple of favourite lines from the book ....
"My
love for Linton is like the foliage in the woods. Time will change it, I'm well aware, as winter changes the trees - my love for Heathcliff resembles the eternal rocks beneath - a source of little visible delight, but necessary."

Is Mr. Heathcliff a man? If so, is he mad? And if not, is he a devil? I sha'n't tell my reasons for making this inquiry; but I beseech you to explain, if you can, what I have married . . .

" . . . he's more myself than I am. Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same, and Linton's is as different as a moonbeam from lightning, or frost from fire."

Ok whether you love the book or hate you should at least read it once in your life .... And if you love it which I have a load of friends you do you will re-read it often ...

I rate this book 2**

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails