Tuesday, August 18, 2009

A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libby Bray (41/2)


It's 1895, and after the death of her mother, 16-year-old Gemma Doyle is shipped off from the life she knows in India to Spence, a proper boarding school in England. Lonely, guilt-ridden, and prone to visions of the future that have an uncomfortable habit of coming true, Gemma's reception there is a chilly one. To make things worse, she's being followed by a mysterious young Indian man, a man sent to watch her. But why? What is her destiny? And what will her entanglement with Spence's most powerful girls - and their foray into the spiritual world - lead to?

Well it is official I think I have found another series that I love .... I have been wanting this series for a while now and so armed with only telling myself that I could buy one book at the bookstore I lifted this one .... When I went to pay for it I had $10.00 off and then the assistant said 'oh that is on special today you get the next book for free' So I went the full hog and purchased the third book as well .... So all in all I got the 3 books for the price of one ..... Happy Days .... Anyway back to the book ...

I love the character of Gemma Doyle she is smart, funny and daring .... She is a great leading lady in this story .... With the lost of her mother she is send back to London to Spence Academy to be trained as a Lady .... What she doesn't expect is finding out who she is and secrets about her family that threaten her life today .... Love, Love love it .........

It is set in 1895 so not only do we have mystery and magic we also have a period setting as well ... There are gypsies ....... A handsome young man who is swore to protect Gemma ...
A big haunted Mansion ......... Being able to travel to a different world ..... The abiltity to have all your dreams come true .... Beautiful clothes ..... And a very stern Headmistress .......

Come on .... what more could you want ......... Go out and buy the book .........

I rate this book 41/2 ****

2 comments:

Chantele Sedgwick said...

I really liked this one. I haven't read the others but I have them on my TBR list!:)

Heidi said...

Really looking forward to reading this series and reading your comments about it.

Related Posts with Thumbnails