Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Jekel loves Hyde by Beth Fantaskey (31/2)


Jill Jekel has always obeyed her parents’ rules – especially the one about never opening the mysterious, old box in her father’s office. But when her dad is murdered, and her college savings disappear, she's tempted to peek inside, as the contents might be key to a lucrative chemistry scholarship.

To better her odds, Jill enlists the help of gorgeous, brooding Tristen Hyde, who has his own dark secrets locked away. As the team of Jekel and Hyde, they recreate experiments based on the classic novel, hoping not only to win a prize, but to save Tristen’s sanity. Maybe his life. But Jill’s accidental taste of a formula unleashes her darkest nature and compels her to risk everything – even Tristen’s love – just for the thrill of being… bad.

I purchased this because: Really like the cover and the storyline sounded fascinating ..


Opening Lines: I buried my father the day after my seventeenth birthday. Even the sun was cruel that morning, an obscenely bright but cold January day. The snow that smothered the cemetery glared harshly white, blinding those mourners who couldn't squeeze under the tent that covered Dad's open grave.

I am in two minds about this book .... At the beginning I found that I couldn't stop reading it and didn't want it to end ... And then about 2/3's in I felt it went off base somehow and got really dark with the storyline and Language .... Then it redeemed itself in the end .........

I love how the author based the story around Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde ... It was very cleverly done and you did feel the sinister edge to the story ..... So much so that I really did want to pick up the original book of 'The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde' ... You did feel the torment of Tristen Hyde's character which was great but I think for me at one point it did go to far ... I loved the way that each chapter was told from either Jill's or Tristen's view point ... So you are getting a complete picture of how each of the main characters are feeling ...

This book is definitely a older adult theme .... As it touches on adult themes such as violence and suicide ... But as a romance book it is one of those books that even thought they are wrong for each other they are destined to be together .... Will the good girl Jill win the heart of bad boy Tristen ... And will Tristen be able to save and keep Jill out of trouble ...

Favourite lines from the book: 'What I felt holding Jill was almost like surrender. The cutting away of a barrier that I'd put up years ago. A wall that I needed to maintain.' Pg 84


'It's interesting to me' I said with a shrug. ' I like to think about how we can control the smallest things in the universe and get reactions or make new substances.' Pg 88


'Don't try to get revenge,' he cautioned. 'Adding violence to violence .... it's never a good idea.' Pg182

Like I said this book is akinda of a mixed bag for me ....... I loved the concept but felt that it verged off the path for me in some parts which is a shame ...... I would definitely read more of Beth's works .....

I rate this book 31/2 ***




Other books by Beth Fantaskey
Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side ( if your a fan of this book you will be interested to go to Beth's site and read the continuation of this story ..... Click here

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails