Sunday, October 11, 2009

"No Going Back" by Jonathon Langford [4]


The book club was offered to review a book that is about to be published in the states entitled
"No Going Back"

The story basically is about a young Latter-Day-Saint boy who discovers that he likes boys and how he deals with the beliefs he has and the feelings that come with this problem. He wants to be a good Mormon boy and he believes that being gay is wrong in God's eyes and his, but he has these overwhelming feelings that are hard to control.

The book goes into how his family feel about him coming out and also his best friend and how he deals with it as well as his family.

Having three boys of my own this story touched my heart. While I personally feel being gay is wrong, I don't feel it is right to persecute others who wish to explore this way of life.

I thought the author did a good job of writing from a boys point of view and as a mum it helped me a little to see where they are coming from.

I was a little disappointed with the way that the author chose to use bad language in it. I don't think he dealt fairly with the reaction from the members in the ward or the bishop. I think that some people will have a hard time understanding some of the terminology, unless they have had some experience with the Mormon church.

Overall it was well written. To me though I think it is a young adult read, not for kids.

Well done for a first novel.

I'd rated this book 4 stars.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails