Sunday, August 15, 2010

Guardian of the Gate by Michelle Zink (41/2)


The ultimate battle between sisters is nearing, and its outcome could have catastrophic consequences. As sixteen year-old Lia Milthorpe searches for a way to end the prophecy, her twin sister Alice hones the skills she'll need to defeat Lia. Alice will stop at nothing to reclaim her sister's role in the prophecy, and that's not the only thing she wants: There's also Lia's boyfriend James.

Lia and Alice always knew the Prophecy would turn those closest to them against them. But they didn't know what betrayal could lead them to do. In the end, only one sister will be left standing.

I purchased this book because: The second installment of the Prophecy of Sisters Series


Opening Lines: Sitting at the desk in my chamber, I do not need to read the words of the prophecy to recall them. They are embedded in my mind as clearly as the mark that brands my wrist.

This book is so much better than the first book and it will have you reading until you finish it in the wee hours of the morning :) .........

The relationship between Lia and Alice is brilliant with Lia battling to do the right thing and Alice her sister just not caring except to stop Lia at all costs not to find the missing pages of the prophecy ....

The book is mostly about Lia and her faithful companions Sonia, Luisa and Edmund travelling to reach Lia's aunt in order to obtain the missing pages of the prophecy .... The horse rides will have you at the edge of your seat as you read .... Not only are they trying to escape the souls but also Hell Hounds are on their trail ........

But you know what else makes this book yummy to read .... Enter Dimitri ..... Oh yes ladies he is delicious ... Move over James for here is a man who is ready to fight for his lady ....

Lia has some really important and hard decisions to make in this book ... Will she be able to let her head overrule her heart ....

Some of my favourite quotes: 'There are those who might say all trees look alike, that it is impossible to tell one wood from another, but this is the landscape of my childhood and I know it for what it is.' pg 4


'Alice and I are destined to meet as enemies. Now it is just the keys, the prophecy, and me.' pg 27


' He is right, of course. If the measure of reality is based only on things in which the rest of the world believes, there is no Samael, no Lost Souls, no prophecy. Yet we know them to be real. It only makes sense to them, to accept the reality in which we find ourselves, however far that reality may be from everyone else's' pg 79


'Worse than anger, worse than ambivalence, I see the pleasure she takes in holding the power to harm another.' Pg 89


'What moves through the forest is no simple animal. I hear howling screams and know immediately that a wolf or a dog would be a blessing compared to what follows us. It is not the growl of an animal but something much, much more terrifying.' pg 105


' I could not stop myself from intervening. From the first moment I saw you, I felt ..... something.' pg 123 AHHHHH


' I need less sleep than you might imagine. Besides, lately when I sleep, I only dream of you anyway.' pg 143


' I shake my head, wondering if a gag for her condescending mouth would be too much to ask' pg 187


'When I meet his gaze, a slow smile spreads from his eyes to his mouth and he raises his eyebrows as if he know exactly what I am thinking.' pg 199

'The Prophecy has taught me well that some things must be done however much we wish to avoid them.' pg 218

Well I am abit sad that this book is finished .... It has been a really great read .... Fast pacing all the way to the end .... And now we have to wait for the next installment .... GRRRRRR

I rate this book 41/2 ****


Books in the Series in order
Prophecy of the Sisters
#1 Prophecy of the Sisters
#2 Guardian of the Gate
#3 (Released 2011)

Ok You know that you want to read this book ........ And we happen to be giving a copy of it away this month .... So click the picture of the book on your right and enter .......

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails