Monday, August 16, 2010

"If I Stay" by Gayle Forman [4 1/2]



Life can change in an instant.
A cold February morning ...
a snowy road ...
and suddenly all of Mia's choices are gone.
Except one.
As alone as she'll ever be, Mia must
make the most difficult choice of all.
Living's all about
making choices.
Dying's no different ...

From the moment you start reading this thought provoking story you realize just how precious life is and the importance of the choices we make throughout it. It is a simple but powerful story ... love, friendships, heartache and tragedy and all this makes for a heartwarming and memorable reading experience.

What choice would you make if you knew your family wasn't with you anymore ... this is the choice Mia has to make after a terrible accident takes her family from her. While lying unconscious in hospital Mia relives all the wonderful experiences that have come in her life at the young age of 17. Her love of music, her friendship with her best friend, her first boyfriend and first love and most precious of all her family. But with such a tragic loss is there even something worth staying for?

'Stay.' With that one word, Adam's voice catches, but he
swallows the emotion and pushes forward. 'There's no word
for what happened to you. There's no good side of it. But
there is something to live for. And I'm not talking about me.
It's just ... I don't know. Maybe I'm talking shit. I know I'm
in shock. I know I haven't digested what happened to your
parents, to Teddy ...' When he says Teddy, his voice cracks
and an avalanche of tears tumbles down his face. And I
think: I love you.

Sometimes painful, other times funny but always touching this is a novel that you just have to read ... impossible to put down. There is also talk of making this novel into a movie, and what a powerful movie that would be.
[ there is bad language in this book as well as adult concepts]

I rate this book 4 1/2 stars.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails