Saturday, October 4, 2008

Eat, Pray, Love - By Elizabeth Gilbert (2)



I was excited when this was picked as a bookclub book as I had already purchased it as I seen the writer on Oprah and it looked really good ...

It is about a woman's journey of self discovery as she travels to 3 different countries in order to find some balance in her life ... I don't really know what I was expecting from this book maybe some inspiring stories and some of my own light bulb moments ... Instead I found this book difficult to read ( to be honest I only ever kept picking it up again and again because it was a book club book ) There where moments that I could quite happily have thrown the book against the wall because I was that frustrated with her ... And found her totally selfish even at the end of the book I found her focusing on herself again ... And I found that it was amusing and telling that the three countries that she visited started with "I" ( Italy, India and Indonesia)

I did think that the way the book was divided into the three sections was clever and also the way that each section had their own 36 tales just a shame that I felt it was rambling at times ... Ok Italy section I really just wanted to scream at her .... I found it really depressing ... This is not a book that is easy to read and put down and pick up again ... Obviously she has just suffered the painful effects of a divorce which she says she will not write about but in the next breath tells you all about it ... I didn't find that much Eating really in Italy and was so relieved when she finally got on the plane to India .....

India is actually alot better reading and flows alot better ... But found it tedious with 36 chapters on Yoga sometimes boring ... There is one good character and that was the Man from Texas who if it hadn't been for him I would have fallen asleep ....

By far Indonesia was my favourite ... There are some really cute stories about the Island and their culture which where fascinating ... And by far loved the character of the Medicine Man and was hoping that there was going to loads of stories with him as that was the main reason she went there ... But know once she found a man on the Island he was dumped ...

I have been reflecting on why I did not really enjoy the book as much I had I hoped that I would and how loads of people are calling this book the "New Bible" for them ... And the only conclusion I can come up with is that reading this book as a Latter Day Saints woman alot of the "Light bulb Moments" that Elizabeth Gilbert was experiencing where life changing to her but where something that I already knew ... I was really hoping to have some of them moments myself but found I was thinking "Yup Ok I know that" - which left me frustrated ...

It is not a bad book to read just really difficult to get through ... It will be interesting to see what the movie will be like with Julia Roberts playing the part !!!

I rate this book 2**

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails