Wednesday, October 22, 2008

P.S. I Love You by Cecelia Ahern


I read this book earlier in the year before it became a bookclub pick and I enjoyed it. Then I saw the movie after reading it and absolutely hated the film due to the major discrepancies between the two formats. After a while I watched the movie again, and because the book was no longer fresh in my mind I actually enjoyed the movie. This time when I read the book all I kept remembering were scenes from the movie, but I did my best to concentrate on the written story and really focus on what I was reading (even if the characters in my head looked exactly like Hilary Swank and Gerard Butler, LOL).
This story is about moving on after the death of a loved one. Thirty year old Holly lost her husband and soul mate Gerry to an unexpected brain tumor, and with the help of her friends and a series of letters from Gerry she is forced to pick up the pieces of her life slowly, and discover who she has now become while standing independently on her own.
The characters and the setting go along way to making this book an enjoyable read. Holly's family seems to be totally dysfunctional in a completely normal sort of way, and her friends each bring their unique personalities to the storyline to create some laughable moments. The book is set in Ireland, and many of the character's quirks come from their Irish heritage, which can be both annoying and endearing at the same time.
Overall the story is a sweet read with some charming moments that tend to hook you. It is not grand literature by any means, but it does get you thinking about what it is you are reading, and I like to take that as a sign that it is still worthy of the time I spend reading it. I didn't particularly like the ending, as the romantic in me still wants everyone to get their happy ending in a grand way, yet I think the characters did get what they each needed at the time. Some parts of the story seemed drawn out while other bits I wanted to know more about.

Three stars.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails