Friday, October 3, 2008

The Time Travellers Wife - by Audrey Niffenegger (1)



"Audrey Niffenegger's innovative debut, The Time Traveler's Wife, is the story of Clare, a beautiful art student, and Henry, an adventuresome librarian, who have known each other since Clare was six and Henry was thirty-six, and were married when Clare was twenty-three and Henry thirty-one. Impossible but true, because Henry is one of the first people diagnosed with Chrono-Displacement Disorder: periodically his genetic clock resets and he finds himself misplaced in time, pulled to moments of emotional gravity in his life, past and future. His disappearances are spontaneous, his experiences unpredictable, alternately harrowing and amusing.The Time Traveler's Wife depicts the effects of time travel on Henry and Clare's marriage and their passionate love for each other as the story"

Ok When you read the cover like this - This book sounds brilliant ... When we formed our book club each member was to pick a book so to start us off we all decided on this Book to read ... A little bit of a love story (Some even say that it the greatest love story to cross time) and a little bit of fantasy ( with the time travelling angle).

This book got so many good reviews and everyone seemed to love it that when I was half way through the book I thought I most be reading a different book .... There are moments in the book that I thought OK this could get interesting and then the writer wouldn't follow through with the story line .... There is some bad language and a little bit of sex in the novel as well ....

I was sorely disappointed with this book because the basic idea is really good and could have been a great book ... I was so frustrated and thought Henry the main character to be totally selfish that by the end of the book I couldn't have cared what happened to him ....

There is going to be a movie made of the book with lovely Eric Bana ... It will be interesting to see if the movie will be true to the book ... I am kinda hoping that it isn't .....



I rate this book unfortunately 1*

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, you guys got a shelfari! Way to go! Can I add you as a friend?

Thanks for the review-- I had heard good things from my book club, but of course, nobody mentioned the language and sex because that's perfectly permissible and usually expected in a top selling book these days. Garbage. And is P.S.I Love you the book that inspired the recent-ish-ly made movie?

Irish said...

Yup you can add us as a friend .... Good to have you onboard ... This months read is PS I love you loosely based on the movie ... We get together in a couple of weeks to discuss it ... Don't know how I feel about that book I may get very homesick as I am from Ireland myself :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails