Tuesday, October 14, 2008

P.S I Love You by Cecelia Ahern (4)

The million copy bestseller. Some people wait their whole lives to find their soul mates. But not Holly and Gerry. Childhood sweethearts, they could finish each other's sentences. No one could imagine Holly and Gerry without each other. Gerry's death devastates Holly. But as her 30th birthday looms, Gerry comes back to her. He's left her a bundle of notes, one for each of the months after his death, guiding Holly into her new life without him, each note signed 'PS, I Love You'. As the notes are opened, the man who knows Holly better than anyone teaches her that life goes on. With some help from her friends and her family, Holly finds herself laughing, crying -- and being braver than ever before. Life is for living, she realises -- but it always helps if there's an angel watching over you.


I have to say I was abit dubious about this book ... I went to see the movie last year on a preview nite with a friend before Christmas and I was OK until about half way through the movie when they returned to Ireland and I saw the green fields ... That was enough for me the rest of the movie I just balled my eyes out ... ( Bearing in mind I have recently moved from Ireland where I grow up and all my family are still back there and to put the nail in the coffin it was Christmas to boot ... Maybe not the best time to watch this movie ...) But I did enjoy it


So when the book was chosen as a book club book I was abit anxious as how I would find it ... But I have to say I loved it ... I know all the places that Cecelia talked about because I had been there many times ... And I have to say that I even enjoyed how they spoke to one another as well ... OK enough of all the sentimental stuff back to the book ...


The movie is nothing like the book apart from the fact that there is a Holly and A Gerry and that he writes he notes ... That is about it really .... I suppose for the movie to be a blockbuster they had to Hollywood it abit but to be honest they totally left out everything really ...


The whole book is set in Ireland and has tons of more characters that are witty and funny ... When I was reading I was actually imagining people back in Ireland who I knew where like that ... There is no polite way or guidebook on how you manage when someone you love dies or how your friends re-act or try to help. I found myself in familiar territory when everyone doesn't know what to say or do and where no one wins ....


I really enjoyed this book actually I read it in a day and loved it ... It is sad, funny and real which is great ....


I rate this book 4****


No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails